Beginners Sewing – Skirt Making
These lessons are suitable for learners who want to acquire a solid foundation with which to kick-start their sewing journey. You will be rapidly learning very important skills as you tackle your first sewing project. Learners will be given a list of materials and valuable resources required for their sewing journey. We encourage you explore current fashion and designs.
Your first introduction to the domestic sewing machine will get you started on comprehensive stitching techniques. Each lesson will develop your sewing capabilities and will equip you with the competence and confidence required to carry out elementary sewing assignments like basic garment alterations or working on small sewing projects.
You will be working on 3 separate projects during this period, each project slightly more challenging than the next as you build up your sewing and design skills.
- A simple tote bag to introduce you to sewing
- Drafted Circle Flare Pattern
- Cutting & Sewing Your Circle Flare
The course will cover the following areas:
- Complete introduction on how to setup and use A Brother or Singer Sewing machine
- Troubleshooting and tips
- Different types of sewing machine stitches
- Introduction to different ways of finishing your seams and hems
- Seams and Hems
- Introduction to basic pattern drafting
- Cutting and sewing garment pieces
- Installing zips
At the end of these lessons, the learner should be able to:
- Independently set up a domestic sewing machine
- Understand the functions and parts of a sewing machine
- Understand how to measure and calculate with an inch tape measure
- Identify and apply at least 3 types of machine stitches
- Design and sew a tote bag using correct measurements
- Take accurate body measurements
- Design a simple skirt pattern
- Cut your fabric using your pattern
- Construct a circle flare skirt without lining
- Install a visible zip in a skirt
- Attach a traditional waist band to a skirt
With your new skirt designing and sewing skills, you should be able to make for yourself or others casual, formal or even very dressy skirts by using different textures of fabrics for your projects.
- Absolute beginner, no previous experience required